Friday, December 5, 2008

Where Monkeys and Pigeons Thrive =)

I have always wondered how so many people could climb up Batu Caves during Thaipusam and how people manage to pray with so much distractions on that festival. What would happen if someone loses his/her footing while climbing up to the temples. The probability of a person tripping is high considering that there are 272 steps to climb up and down gain (544 + at least a hundred more as there are more steps to climb once you reach the top). Will it cause a 'dominos effect'?

I went there on the 3rd of Dec just to take a look.I have been staying in Selangor for 18 years and this will only be my second time climbing up Batu Caves.( Actually, I went there because my grandmother's sister came down from India so my dad just wanted to show her the place where more then 1.5 million people come each year during Thaipusam)

As you enter the premises of the temples, one thing that will surely catch the eyes of all visitors will probably be the colossal statue of Lord Murugan. I've never seen such a formidable looking statue.(I've not gotten a chance to see statues overseas so hope you can understand my excitement)


Just had to take a picture of the statue.My grandma's sister with me and my brother.(I googled and found out that this statue is the tallest statue of Lord Muragan in the world-42.7m,not bnad)

Another thing that caught my attention was the large numbers of pigeons at the foot of the stairway.Pigeons are my second most hated birds( nothing beats the crow of cause) because of their dropping. Extremely disgusting!!

See what I mean.I wished I had boots on that day.Yuck!!They should stop feeding pigeons

Enough about pigeon faeces. Next: Monkeys. The monkeys there were climbing up and down the steps and there were even more once you reach the top ( entering the temples). One should think that the monkeys there will be extremely friendly as they have alot of exposure to humans. Well, I really don't think so.I saw numerous people being attacked/chased/disturbed by these monkeys while climbing up.I guess they must have been provoked by humans.

They are just adorable aren't they? ;)


272 steps up.Not that tiring the honestly.But I don't know how people can do it with a kavadi on their back.

Those who have Acrophobia are advised not to look down.Very steep.

After climbing to the top, we just spent a while in the cave.I must say, it was very beautiful indeed. It must have taken millions of years to form or something like. I particularly like the sight of water dripping down from the top into the cave.



Pictures...


Up in the caves.



My brother, dad and me

One of the many statues up there


The view from the top.

1 comment:

LingDi said...

Monkeys are not that cute! They are scary!