Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Walk On With Hope In Your Heart !

Its been ages since I last blogged. Liverpool were on a bad run of form back in January and it seemed to have ruined their chances for their quest to regain supremacy over England. I personally thought that it was all over for Liverpool after many dreadful performances and a string of draws thoughout January and February. Their defeat against Middlesborough on the 27th of February summed it up. But since their thumping of Real Madrid and Manchester United within a space of 1 week in March, they have been simply breathtaking at times. They are now back in the hunt for their 19th title with 7 matches still to go. That week ( when Liverpool thrased MU and Madrid) was really one of the best weeks for me as a Liverpool fan. My top 5 moments as a Liverpool supporter.

5. The treble of 2001. I remember watching the FA cup final against Arsenal. Micheal Owen struck twice in the last 10 minutes to help Liverpool win. I also remember the UEFA cup final against Alaves. What a final it was. Liverpool coming up top with a 5-4 victory. The other trophy that Liverpool won that season was the Carling Cup.

4. The defeat of Chelsea in the semi finals of the Champions League 04/05. Chelsea were deemed too strong for Liverpool before the match but a collective team effort saw Liverpool making it to the finals of the Champions League for the 1st time in 20 years.I'm sure most of you remember the goal (that might have/might not have) crossed the goaline by Luis Garcia. I particularly remember the 7 minutes of added time during that match. Total Crap ...and Chelsea almost scored too.

3.Winning the FA Cup 2006. That was definitely the best final in the World's Oldest Cup competition's history. Liverpool were trailing 2-0 against West Ham during the first half before a Gerrard-inspired Liverpool cameback to win the match on penalties. I vividly remember the extra time goal by Gerrard from about 40 yards out. I was on my way upstairs ( to bed) when he scored to level the scores at 3-3. Liverpool of course went on to win on penalties =)

2. The week that I had just mentioned. Beating the so called giants of Europe 4-0 at Anfield and THRASHING the English/European/World? Champions Manchester United 4-1( and did I mention it was in Old Trafford as well). The Manchester game was really amazing and I was really glad as it shut all the arrogant Man U supporters mouths for at least 1 whole night. I can remember them laughing at their team when Liverpool scored their 4th goal. God knows what was going through their minds at that time.It showed that Liverpool had the quality to challenge the top teams in Europe but I'm still not so sure about sustaining the challenge.

1. ISTANBUL 2005. The Great Comeback- Liverpool Style =). It was the best moment for me as a Liverpool fan and most of the younger generation that support Liverpool FC. 3-0 down,certainly game over but somehow they managed to claw their way back into the game and win it on penalties.

The future looks bright for Liverpool at the moment. Though I'm still not convinced that they will win the league this season, they have certainly made progress since last year.I believe that Liverpool lost the league in January when they failed to win any of their matches. Slowly but surely, they are closing the gap to Manchester United and Chelsea.
My predictions for this year :
BPL winners: Manchester United (unless they suddenly collapse...that would be a miracle)
UCL winners: Barcelona

I'll end with the lyrics of this world famous song which shows the spirit and character of Liverpool Football Club =) Enjoy! (YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE)

When you walk through the storm
Hold your head up high
And don't be afraid of the dark
At the end of the storm
There's a golden sky
And the sweet silver song of the lark

Walk on, through the wind
Walk on, through the rain
Though your dreams be tossed and blown
Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart
And you'll never walk alone
You'll never walk alone

Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart
And you'll never walk alone
You'll never walk alone

2 comments:

John said...

This is going to be the much talk about match for most football fans considering it involves two English sides. It's pretty hard to say as the results in the past between both teams have always been tight and close.

But I would be happier to see Liverpool going further because I have some sentimental feelings for them. Not that I don’t like Chelsea as they are great team as well. The only setback for me is that (from what I've heard), Javier Mascherano will not available as he is suspended for today's game. He is crucial in Rafa's plan.

Anyway, this is just thought about the match. Please check out my preview on the game and let us have your views.

Don't forget to listen to our Podcast

Melzie said...

Hey, ur prediction was right! MU won the BPL and Barca won the UEFA :):) How did u do that?! Haha, I'm an MU fan so I was predicting for them to win both.

*linked 2 ur blog from Daniel Chong's (whom I linked from ReCom.org) btw :)*