Sunday, June 13, 2010

Have The Goals Dried Up?

After 7 games being played in the World Cup, we've all probably noticed that there aren't many goals scored thus far. I haven't seen a long range goal too and most matches have been rather boring. I have also gotten used to the buzzing sound of the vuvuzelas which were rather irritating at first. The most enjoyable match for most people would have been the Argentina Vs Nigeria game but for me it was the South Korea-Greece match.

South Korea Vs Greece
I have to say this, South Korea really impressed me.They looked so much sharper and fitter compared to their Greek counterparts.Greece simply did not show up during the whole match and I am very sure that their passion during the game would be questioned by many of their fans. The just did not fight hard enough and always seem to lose a 50/50 challenge to the Asians.Well done to Korea~! Park Ji Sung was inspirational and finished coolly to wrap up the game. Korea won 2-0 and I am really looking forward to what kind of challenge they can put up against the Argentinians in the group stage. I hope they can make it through into the round of 16.
Park Ji Sung scoring Korea Republic's second goal.
The next match was a highly anticipated match between Nigeria and Argentina.The Argentinians (on paper at least) had one of the best strike force in the tournament. I was looking forward to THE MAN of course- Lionel Messi. The World Player of The Year could have easily had a hatrick and was a constant menace throughout the game. I'm sure he silenced all his critics who said that he doesn't play his best football for the country. In the end though, Gabriel Heinze's headed goal was enough to separate the two sides. 1-0 the score although it could have been much much different -had it not been for the brilliance of the Nigerian goalkeeper.



Messi dancing pass the Nigerian defenders. He's SIMPLY THE BEST IN THE WORLD RIGHT NOW~!!
Gabriel Hienze's powerful diving header in the 6th minute.At that moment, I thought it was the beginning of a goal fest.

Last match of the day was England vs USA. As with all of England's world cup games over the years, this was overhyped as well. I expected England to win (albeit narrowly) but in the end, it ended in a 1-1 draw. It was a fair result and the match will probably be remembered for the blunder by Robert Green, the England goalkeeper( view picture below) . Before the blunder which brought the US level, England seemed to be in control of the game after Gerrard's beautiful opener. However , they were shell shocked after that terrible mistake and USA slowly edged their way into the game. Gerrard,Rooney and Johnson were England's best players in my opinion.Their wingers just SUCKED~! They definitely have to play much better then this if they are to progress in to the later stages of the tournament.

Thats all for now. I'm looking forward to the Germany - Australia match.
I need not say more. -.-'

No comments: